Brand Name: Alzazonex Capsule.
Each Alzazonex 28 mg capsule contains: Memantine HCl ............................... 28 mg XR.
- memantine HCl, an NMDA receptor antagonist indicated for the treatment of moderate to severe dementia of the Alzheimer’s type
Dosage and Administration:
- Initial Dose 7 mg Alzazonex XR once daily
- Maintenance Dose 28 mg Alzazonex XR once daily (2.1)
- A minimum of 1 week of treatment with the previous dose should be observed before increasing the dose
- is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to memantine hydrochloride or to any excipients used in the formulation.
Warnings and precautions:
- Conditions that raise urine pH may decrease the urinary elimination of memantine resulting in increased plasma levels of memantine.
- Most common adverse reactions (≥ 5 % and greater than placebo) are dizziness, headache, confusion, and constipation.
Persistent activation of central nervous system N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptors by the excitatory amino acid glutamate has been hypothesized to contribute to the symptomatology of Alzheimer’s disease. Memantine is postulated to exert its therapeutic effect through its action as a low to moderate affinity uncompetitive (open-channel) NMDA receptor antagonist which binds preferentially to the NMDA receptor-operated cation channels. There is no evidence that memantine prevents or slows neurodegeneration in patients with Alzheimer’s disease.
Alzazonex 28mg XR Tablets: Box containing 3 blisters of 10 tablets each.